Faith to Faithless recently launched a brand new helpline for apostates in the summer of 2023, for people leaving high-control religions. We’re now looking for committed, compassionate volunteers to join the expanding team.
You will be a motivated, dedicated, and organised person with great communication skills, who is enthusiastic about volunteering your time and skills to support individuals leaving high-control religions (also known as apostates). You will have lived experience or understanding of the issues apostates face, and a kind and empathic approach to working with others.
We’ll train you to handle calls with confidence, and you’ll be getting valuable experience in supporting service users with multifaceted needs. This is a volunteering role where you can develop your interpersonal skills, help members of our community who need it most, and make a real difference in their lives by helping them get back on track to living happy, purposeful lives without religion.
Key Tasks and Activities
- To respond quickly and efficiently to calls requesting help, providing a listening service, signposting and information to people who have experienced victimisation due to leaving their religion.
- To deliver work which adheres to high service standards, ensuring compliance with all policies and procedures.
- To keep and maintain accurate and confidential records of all work undertaken.
- To identify and maintain appropriate boundaries for all callers and recognise when and where to signpost callers for further help/information as appropriate with appropriate support from the apostate services manager
- To proactively continue to develop appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills through regular reading of information and attending training courses.
- To support the training of helpline volunteers as required.
- To attend supervision, meetings and appraisals.
- To undertake any other appropriate duties as requested by the ASM
- To work at all times within the policies and procedures of Humanists UK.
To apply, please complete the Application Form telling us why you’re interested in the role and detailing how you match the person specification on page 4 of the application pack. Then return the completed form with the subject ‘Helpline Volunteer’ to email@example.com.