Humanist Climate Action is a volunteer-led network of Humanists UK members and supporters committed to redefining lifestyles and campaigning for policies that promote low-carbon, ethical, and sustainable living in the light of the degeneration of the Earth’s climate and biodiversity. We bring humanists together to facilitate individual and collective action on these issues.
Humanists are guided by reason and science and recognise a moral duty towards the welfare of our fellow beings and the natural world. Humanists seek to engage in dialogue and debate rationally, intelligently, and with evidence, and promote the belief that humans are part of a wider natural world which must be treated sustainably for the sake of current and future generations.
For a view of the place of environmentalism within the humanist movement, please read Richard Norman’s ‘Why Humanist Climate Action?’
Our aims are:
- To promote environmentally friendly policies, and to endorse and support the actions of other environmental campaigning groups that have similar objectives.
- To challenge beliefs that are not evidence-based and disinformation about environmental issues, particularly climate change.
- To encourage humanists to adopt greener lifestyles, following the best available scientific evidence.
- To ensure that the humanist voice is heard in religious or belief-led initiatives on environmental issues.
Humanist Climate Action is run by a committee of volunteers.
Help us plant a ‘humanist forest’ by planting a tree
Plant a tree, film or photograph yourself doing so, and send it to us by email or through social media. We have produced some guidance on the best way to plant your tree and how to do so safely during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Write to your MP to call for action on climate change
You can write to your MP by sending an email using our online form, which has suggested text and asks. Just enter your postcode and it’ll automatically identify your MP.
Support The Climate Coalition
Humanist Climate Action is a member of The Climate Coalition. Find out more about its campaigns.
Join or donate to Humanists UK
You can also support Humanists UK by becoming a member. That helps in itself, and you can help even more by supporting our campaigns in the ways suggested above. But campaigns also cost money – quite a lot of money – and we also need financial support. You can make a donation to Humanists UK.
- Find out how you can adopt a more sustainable lifestyle. Read our guide to living sustainably.
- Find out how to challenge climate change denial and other misinformation.
- Check out our list of evidence-based scientific resources on environmental climate change.
- Find out more about the background to Humanist Climate Action.