To celebrate five years since our launch, Northern Ireland Humanists is inviting members and supporters to take part in a special online event taking place on 31 August 2021, hosted by comedian and Northern Ireland Humanists patron Tim McGarry.
In 2016, Northern Ireland Humanists came together to unite Humanists UK’s growing number of members, supporters, and campaigners in Northern Ireland. This came in response to increasing demand to put humanism into practice, including through work in schools, ceremonies, and campaigns for a more secular, inclusive society.
The free event will celebrate the fifth anniversary of the launch of Northern Ireland Humanists, the changes brought about in Northern Irish society in that time, and our ambitions for the future. It will also see the launch of a major new report highlighting just how dramatically humanist activism in recent years has changed Northern Ireland for the better.
Joining Boyd Sleator and the Northern Ireland Humanists team will be:
- Northern Ireland Humanists patrons Laura Lacole and Tim McGarry
- Andrew Copson, Humanists UK Chief Executive
- Madeleine Goodall, Humanist Heritage Coordinator
- Stewart Holden, Belfast-based humanist celebrant
- Ciarán McWilliams, Belfast-based humanist pastoral carer
- Rachel Taggart-Ryan, who is working to abolish blasphemy laws in Northern Ireland
- Ruth Wareham, Education Campaigns Manager for Humanists UK