Academic, science writer, and Patron of Humanists UK
I am a humanist because I am an atheist. The challenge and the opportunity that humanism offers is that of constructing one’s own personal philosophy of life, a philosophy that is not put together according to any set of instructions handed down from on high.
It is more important than ever to champion all non-religious approaches to life. Humanists UK provides a wonderful forum for doing this.
Dylan Evans is the founder and CEO of Projection Point, which designs risk intelligence training programs for corporate clients. He has written several popular science books (see below), and in 2001 he was voted one of the twenty best young writers in Britain by the Independent on Sunday. He received a PhD in Philosophy from the London School of Economics in 2000, and has held academic appointments at King’s College London, the University of Bath, the University of the West of England, and University College Cork.
In July 2009 he joined other eminent scientists and educators calling for vital changes to the proposed science curriculum for primary schools in England in a letter to Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families.
Dylan Evans’ books include:
- The Utopia Experiment (Picador, 2015)
- Atheism: All That Matters (Hodder, 2014)
- Risk Intelligence: How to Live with Uncertainty (Simon & Schuster, 2012)
- Emotion, Evolution and Rationality, edited with Pierre Cruse (Oxford University Press, 2004)
- Placebo: The Belief Effect (Harper Collins, 2003, republished by Harper Collins as Placebo: Mind over Matter in Modern Medicine, 2004)
- Introducing Evolution, with Howard Selina ( Icon and Totem, 2001)
- Emotion: The Science of Sentiment (Oxford University Press, 2001)
- Introducing Evolutionary Psychology, with Oscar Zarate (Icon and Totem, 1999)
Buy Dylan Evans’ books through this link to Amazon.co.uk and a portion of the sale price will go to Humanists UK.